Filling out a TD1 Form

A TD1 form tells the employer how much tax needs to be taken off of an employee pay. There is one for Federal tax and another for Provincial. The higher your exemption, the less amount of tax is taken from your cheque. Employees should be filling out new TD1 forms in January of each year…

Read More

Changes to the Reporting of the Principal Residence Exemption

Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Changes to the Reporting of the Principal Residence Exemption and How This Affects All Residential Real Estate Sales for the 2016 Year One of the greatest tax saving incentives offered by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the principal residence exemption (PRE). The basics behind this exemption is tha...
Read More

U.S. Tax Issues for Both Canadian and U.S. Citizens - Part 2

Monday, August 22, 2016
Canadian Residents or “Snowbirds”: The term snowbirds is used to describe Canadians who spend a fair amount of time in the U.S. usually to vacation and escape our winters. The number of days you spend in the U.S. will have an impact on the determination of your residency for tax purposes. The U.S. ...
Read More

U.S. Tax Issues for both Canadian and U.S. Citizens - PART 1

Thursday, July 14, 2016
U.S. Tax Issues for both Canadian and U.S. Citizens: The tax implications involved in cross-border activities are complex and can apply to many situations that face both Canadian and U.S. citizens. Each individual’s personal scenario will be unique when dealing with either business, employment, ret...
Read More

Employee or Self-Employed Worker

Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Employee or self-employed worker? It is important to decide whether a worker is an employee or a self-employed individual. Employment status affects a person’s entitlement to employment insurance (EI) benefits while also having an impact on how a worker is treated under other legislation such as th...
Read More

Medical Expenses on your Personal Tax Return

Monday, March 07, 2016
Medical Expenses on Your Personal Tax Return We are often asked what medical expenses can be deducted on a personal tax return. The Canada Revenue Agency has detailed listings on all things that can or cannot be included. Below is a summary of the most common items we see. Common items that can be...
Read More

Proposed Liberal and Implemented NDP Tax Policy Implications

Wednesday, December 02, 2015
Rates 1. Personal Tax a) Federal: The Liberals have proposed that they will cut the income tax rate for middle class Canadians, and increase the marginal rate on higher earning income individuals. The following rates highlighted in yellow represent the only changes to the personal federal tax ...
Read More

Moving Expenses

Wednesday, December 02, 2015
Moving Expenses: Who is eligible to claim moving expenses on their personal tax return? There are two instances in which a tax payer is eligible to claim moving expenses as a deduction on their personal tax return: If you move to a new location to work or run a business, or If you move to ...
Read More

Enhanced Universal Child Care Benefit

Wednesday, September 02, 2015
NEWLY INTRODUCED FAMILY BENEFITS ENHANCED UNIVERSAL CHILD CARE BENEFIT The new enhanced universal child care benefit is designed to put an extra $60 per child in the hands of parents each month. So, for those that have children under 6 years of age, the benefit has increased from $100/month to $...
Read More

Disability Tax Credit

Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Disability Tax Credit An often overlooked tax break that can be enjoyed by individuals is the disability tax credit (DTC). It is a non-refundable tax credit that can be used to reduce income tax payable on your tax return. How much will it reduce your taxes? For an Alberta resident for 2014, it a...
Read More

Latest Updates at BVA

Get an ever-expanding collection of inspiring, informational, and instructional news & updates from BVA.

Contact BVA

Head Office

#101-2248 13th Ave SE
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 8G6

Phone: 403‑527‑8114


QuickBooks Pro Advisor Experts

Receive discounted pricing off the regular price on QuickBooks products through BVA.



#101‑2248 13th Avenue SE

Medicine Hat, AB Canada

T1A 8G6

Phone: 403‑527‑8114

Fax: 403‑526‑0908


Medicine Hat
Bow Island
Maple Creek

Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Copyright BVA 2019 - Legal - Privacy Policy
Created by

Legal notice